Award-winning executive with a proven track record in fundraising, non-profit management, marketing and communications, and medical research advocacy.
Excels at cultivating relationships, leveraging networks, marketing health-related causes, and strategic planning. Recognized for superior leadership and delivering results that continually exceeded goals and expectations.
Knowledgeable on all aspects of healthcare advocacy including regulatory, reimbursement, and access issues. Skilled in clinical trial recruitment.
Recently appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to the NIH’s National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease (NIDDK) Advisory Council.
BUSINESS CONSULTANT, STIEHLWORKS CONSULTING FIRM, San Diego CA (2001-Present)
Provides fundraising and management consulting to non-profits and medical research institutions.
Key Clients include:
· University of California, San Francisco Diabetes Center (Employee, 2001-2014; Consultant, 2014-present)
· University of South Florida (CDC & FL Department of Health Grant, Type 2 Prediabetes Promotion Including Market Research and Clinician Engagement, 2014-2017)
· diaTribe Foundation (Non-Profit Consultant & Chief Fundraiser, 2014-2017)
· California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (Patient Advocacy Outreach Grant, 2010-2012)
· Lymphoma Research Foundation (Non-Profit Fundraising Consultant, 2002-2005)
· Raised over $25 million for medical causes.
· Recruited donors to support the establishment of five endowed chairs.
· Cultivated and solicited thousands of donors, foundations, and corporate giving partners.
· Developed and executed fundraising strategic plans for numerous non-profit organizations.
· Guided the launch and scaling of multiple non-profit organizations. Created and executed capacity building plans.
· Developed complex annual and five-year strategic plans. Collaborated with executives, research scientists, clinicians, and senior managers.
· Served as project manager handling numerous large and mid-size projects. Responsible for strategy, scope, budgets, milestones, scheduling, delivery, workflow optimization, logistics, client relations, cross-functional collaboration, and communications.
· Helped to create and execute the statewide marketing initiative for the CDC’s Diabetes Prevention Program in Florida.
· Developed and implemented the statewide marketing plan for the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine’s patient advocate efforts.
· Helped to create and market a national behavioral psychology postdoctoral fellowship program.
· Established new partnerships with 500+ voluntary health agencies and academic institutions.
· Created new electronic and direct mail newsletters and publications that increased awareness and drove fundraising results; served as branding leader for multiple website and social media launches.
NATIONAL FIELD MANAGER, JUVENILE DIABETES RESEARCH FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL (JDRF), San Francisco CA (1987-2001)
Promoted from Los Angeles Executive Director, Metro Detroit Executive Director
· Managed a $55 million fundraising budget.
· Supervised 30 fundraising executives and 70 non-direct reports.
· Established chapters in 17 new markets in 14 states.
Education and Professional Development
BA, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, December 1983 - Graduate of High Distinction; Full Tuition Merit Scholarship
Completed 36 graduate-level credit hours in business administration
International Board of Directors, JDRF, 2011-2017
Research, Advocacy and Development Committees, JDRF, 2011-2017
International Board of Directors, Diabetes Hands Foundation, 2011-2016
National Volunteer Chair of Grassroots Advocacy, JDRF, 2007-2010
Awards & Recognition
National Volunteer of the Year, JDRF, 2010
National Staff Member of the Year, JDRF, 1992
“What To Do When Your Partner Has Diabetes: A Survival Guide”
Nicole Johnson, DrPH, MPH, MA, and Miss America 1999, and Lorraine Stiehl, 2017